Women’s Soccer Forces Overtime with Huntingdon, Match Ends in a 1-1 Draw

Women’s Soccer Forces Overtime with Huntingdon, Match Ends in a 1-1 Draw

SEWANEE, Tenn. - Match number one of the 2018 season for the Sewanee women's soccer program ends in a 1-1 draw thanks to a second half goal by the Tigers Friday night at Puett Field.

Final Score: Sewanee (0-0-1) 1, Huntingdon (0-0-1) 1
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers

-Neither team found the back of the next in the first 45 minutes. The Hawks had a chance in the 11th minute to break the scoring, but thanks to a save by freshman Hanna Judycki, the contest remained scoreless.

-In the 40th minute, the Tigers had one of their best opportunities to score in the opening half. After a corner kick by Dayla LaRocque, the Tigers were caught offsides attempting to score.

-The scoring came around in the 53rd minute, as Huntingdon struck first with a goal by Sam Curtis off an Erika Gebhard assist.

-Sewanee would not go away quietly, as they found the goal in the 65th minute. After Savannah Williams forced the goalie, Kylie Kersh, out of the box to save a shot. However, Kersh lost control and Paige Rupp answered with a shot into the left side to even the score at a goal each.

-The teams would take five shots in the remaining 25 minutes, but the score remained even after regulation.

-In the first overtime period, the Hawks attempted to string a rally in the 95th minute. Alexis Louk took shot to win the game, but the shot was saved by Judycki.

-With less than 15 seconds left in the second overtime, Huntingdon drew a foul to give Sewanee a free kick from about 30 yards out. LaRocque took the shot with two seconds left on the clock, but as the horn sounded, the Hawks' Kersh saved the shot to end the match in a 1-1 tie.

-The Tigers were limited to five shots in regulation, but the team attempted two shots in the second overtime.

-Dayla LaRocque and Savannah Williams each had two shots for the Tigers.

-Paige Rupp handled the offense with the lone goal of the match.

-Hanna Judycki (0-0-1), in her first collegiate match, stopped three shots in 110 minutes of action.

-The Hawks attempted nine shots on the evening, tallying 10 in 100 minutes. However, the team could not muster a shot in the second overtime period.

-Alexis Louk and Meredith Harrison each recorded two shots for the visitors, as Sam Curtis netted the lone goal.

-Kylie Kersh (0-0-1) also played all 110 minutes in goal and saved two shots.

The Tigers will wrap up the weekend homestand with a contest against Meredith Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.

For the latest news on the Sewanee Tigers, follow @SewaneeTigers on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.