GAMBIER, Ohio - The 22nd-ranked Sewanee men's tennis team collected its first victory over the 2018 season with an 8-1 neutral-site victory win over No. 26 Kalamazoo on Saturday afternoon on the campus of Kenyon College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: No. 22 Sewanee (1-0) 8, No. 26 Kalamazoo (2-2) 1
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Men's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
HOW IT HAPPENED
-Sewanee earned the sweep in doubles action. After clinching wins easily at the one and the two, Kalamazoo made it interesting at the No. 3 doubles, but the duo of Ryan Olps and Jack Metzger earned the 8-4 win to seal the sweep.
-In singles, the Tigers earned five out of the six spots to seal the match, led by Jack Gray with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Tytus Metzler.
-Daniel Henry, ranked 16th in the preseason ITA Central Regional rankings, avoided the shutout for Kalamazoo going three sets with Ryan Olps at No. 2 singles. After falling 3-6 in the first set, the freshman forced a third set with a 7-5 set win. Coming down to the final set, Henry earned the advantage with the 10-7 set win.
1. Jack Gray (SEWANEE) def. Tytus Metzler (KZOO) 6-3, 6-2
2. Daniel Henry (KZOO) def. Ryan Olps (SEWANEE) 6-3, 5-7, 10-7
3. Jordan Brewer (SEWANEE) def. Allen Vinson (KZOO) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andres Carro (SEWANEE) def. Elan Dantus (KZOO) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alejandro Becker (SEWANEE) def. Ricardo DelOlmo-Parrado (KZOO) 6-4, 6-4
6. Aubrey Davis (SEWANEE) def. Zack Ray (KZOO) 7-5, 6-1
1. Jack Gray/Alejandro Becker (SEWANEE) def. Elan Dantus/Daniel Henry (KZOO) 8-3
2. Andres Carro/Jordan Brewer (SEWANEE) def. Ricardo DelOlmo-Parrado/Allen Vinson (KZOO) 8-1
3. Ryan Olps/Jack Metzger (SEWANEE) def. Tytus Metzler/Zack Ray (KZOO) 8-4
The weekend trip in Ohio concludes Sunday afternoon with a matchup against host No. 25 Kenyon.