SEWANEE, Tenn. - The Sewanee women's tennis team suffered defeat in the third round of the 2018 NCAA Women's Tennis Championships with a 5-0 defeat to top-ranked Emory Sunday afternoon from the Bruton-Guerry Tennis Center.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: No. 1 Emory (15-4) 5, No. 12 Sewanee (22-5) 0
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Women's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
HOW IT HAPPENED
-In doubles play, the Tigers were swept by the Eagles. At the No. 2 flight, Christina Merchant/Ellie Czura were in a battle with Anna Fuhr/Stephanie Taylor, tied 4-4 at one point during the set, but the visitors snagged the win, 8-5.
-In singles, the Eagles clinched the match with wins at the No. 2 and No. 6 positions, despite great matchups at the other flights. At the No. 1, 14th-ranked Clementina Davila rallied in the opening set, down 4-0, to tie to set at five games apiece; however, No.2 Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico won the final two points to secure the opening set.
-At the No. 3 flight, No. 32 Catherine Owen also suffered a 7-5 defeat to No. 28 Daniela Lopez in the opening set before the match was called.
1. #38 Clementina Davila (SEWANEE) vs. #2 Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (EUW) 5-7, 0-1, unfinished
2. #7 Bridget Harding (EUW) def. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-2
3. #32 Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) vs. #28 Daniela Lopez (EUW) 5-7, unfinished
4. Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) vs. Anna Fuhr (EUW) 1-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Sara Thompson (SEWANEE) vs. Defne Olcay (EUW) 4-5, unfinished
6. #50 Stephanie Taylor (EUW) def. Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) 6-0, 6-1
1. #2 Bridget Harding/Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (EUW) def. #14 Clementina Davila/Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) 8-1
2. Anna Fuhr/Stephanie Taylor (EUW) def. Christina Merchant/Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) 8-5
3. Daniela Lopez/Katie Chang (EUW) def. Sara Thompson/Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) 8-3
Sewanee's Clementina Davila will compete in the 2018 NCAA Women's Tennis Singles Championships May 24-26 from Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges in Claremont, Calif. Davila and Catherine Owen are seeded as a second alternate for the Doubles Championships. Seedings will be announced on Wednesday, May 23.